Our Favorite Hummus Recipe (kid approved!)
If your family is like ours, hummus is a huge staple. My kids would choose hummus and veggies or pita over junky snacks anyday!
For the longest time I thought the store bought stuff was perfectly healthy but when I looked closer I found ingredients I didn’t like.
That’s when I decided to make my own…
If you have the time (15 min or so) I highly recommend making your hummus from scratch. The store bought hummus, although simple and quick, typically contains canola or soybean oil which is a highly processed oil and one we really want to avoid.
Homemade hummus is VERY simple and is delicious! Here's a recipe we love:
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (do not drain), or about 2 cups drained, cooked chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1/2 lemon), plus more as needed
- 1 small clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1) Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Drain the chickpeas into a strainer, reserving the liquid from the can. If time and patience allow, pinch the skins from each of the chickpeas; this will make your hummus smoother.
2) Combine all ingredients in the food processor. Combine the chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in the bowl of the food processor fitted with the blade attachment or blender.
3) Blend hummus until smooth, at least 5 minutes. Process the hummus continuously until it becomes very smooth, about 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to integrate any large chunks.
4) Taste and adjust seasonings. Taste and add more of any of the ingredients to taste. If your hummus is stiffer than you'd like, blend 2 to 3 tablespoons of the reserved chickpea liquid to thin it out and make the hummus creamier.
5) Transfer to a bowl and serve. Scrape the hummus into a bowl and serve with pita chips or raw vegetables.
Recipe and photo from The Kitchn.
Do you have a favorite hummus recipe?! Please share below!